Friday, September 5, 2008

AH Ha! Hush that Fuss! Everybody move to the back of the bus!!





The bus! Route 25, 9:05 PM. Let me tell you! My public transportation experience was two fold! It was somewhat exciting as well! Heading to the bus stop I was a little weary. I hurried out of work in time the catch the GTA in front of Four Seasons Mall. I was the only sole at the bus stop. The us drove by at first ad came back around to pick me up like 15 minutes later. I stepped on the bus and it was packed. It was dark outside and in the bus. The aroma wasn't very pleasant either and it seemed to get stronger as more people get on. I decided to stand instead of sitting plus there was no where for me to sit between the passengers and their shopping bags! Standing at the front of the bus, I was able to take in the full experience of the bus. This old crotchety lady and I were the only white people on the bus! It was a little shocking, I expected more diversity but practically all the passengers were black! When the older white woman yelled at me for standing at the front, I decided to get off. Walking to meet my ride back to my car, I thought about the reading and how blacks worked so hard to get equality with whites and now from the public transportation system it seems like they are still as just as segregated. The feeling on the bus was that of remorse. It seemed like the people didn't even want to be riding the bus at all. The public transportation I believe would be a great way to get around if the bad connotations were removed.

1 comment:

leah petriccione said...

Lindsey,
(I drew your card from the deck Monday)
From first impression, it seems that your recording and observations of your time on the bus could have been a lot more in depth. You seem to only see the very outer shell of the experience, and didn't really dig deeper into the meaning. I like how you chose to go at night, which was something I tried to avoid. It gives you a unique perspective, and definitely changes the mood and way you experience the bus ride. I like that you began talking about how "it seems like they are still just as segregated" but it would have been really interesting to read your reasons why. With your images, your photographs do a good job of communicating the feelings you described on the bus- dark, crowded, and uncomfortable. On the other hand, your brightly colored and cartoon like marker drawings convey the complete opposite of what you described. Overall, I think you had a great experience on the bus, but the recording part could have been a lot more detailed and thought out.